Donating whole blood is an easy way to help us save lives! Here's what to expect when you donate blood with ARUP.
Complete a Medical Screening
- A blood center technician will take your vital signs and check your hematocrit (iron) level.
- We will ask some questions about your health in a private setting.
- During this process, you may be temporarily or permanently deferred based on strict FDA guidelines.
- A medical professional will clean your arm and use a sterile needle for the draw.
- Each needle is discarded after one use!
- Whole blood donations typically take 6–10 minutes.
- We test every donation to identify the ABO and RH blood type.
Refresh and Recover
- Take some free refreshments and relax in the canteen to raise your blood sugar and replenish your fluids.
- After you leave, feel free to resume your normal routine.
- Give the gift of life by donating whole blood as often as every 56 days.
- You will receive the results of your blood type test.
Learn more about blood types.
- We will notify you when your blood has been used to save a life.
ARUP is the sole blood provider for University of Utah Health hospitals and clinics and the Huntsman Cancer Institute.